Thursday, March 3, 2011

St. Patrick and the Providence of the Irish

Hi friends and family!  As you know, I love to write and just don't do it often enough but maybe this blog will force me to write more.  And, that would be a good thing since I am "teaching" a writing class right now to six amazing home educated children who have developed into diligent writers themselves.

So, first let me explain the choice of "Coram Deo Musings" for my blog title.  Coram Deo is Latin for "living before the face of God" and it carries with it that intentional aspect of remembering just who created me and breathed spiritual life into my dead body.  I don't own my life and I like to muse on that fact and hopefully remember that God graciously allows me to live before Him as His servant. 

Now, St. Patrick and the Providence of the Irish.  Honestly, it wasn't the "luck" of the Irish that brought Patrick, a Christian missionary to Ireland.  No, it was God and the first time he brought Patrick to Ireland, he was a very unwilling participant.  Patrick (called "Sucaat" - warlike) at the time, was a young, strong-willed adolescent who had the privilege to have Christian parents.  (This is even before the Roman Catholic church was in Ireland.)  Undoubtedly, Patrick heard the Gospel from an early age but he rejected it.  One day, Patrick was taken captive by pirates and sold as a slave.  He eventually was forced to become a shepherd and probably spent many lonely days out on the moors tending the sheep.  He found himself repenting of his sins and asking Christ to forgive him.  Several years late, he was able to escape on a ship headed back home to Brittania (England).   One might be tempted to enjoy the warmth and comfort of family and friends and the familiar things so long missed.  Not Patrick.  After a time, he felt God calling him to go back to Ireland.  He had, after all, learned the language and his heart was burdened for the salvation of the pagan peoples there.
And, so, he went back and loved the people of Ireland sacrificially, working among them until his death.  It wasn't luck at all that drew him there; it was God's providence.

The facts of this story are a paraphrase of a bulletin insert by Christian Communicators Worldwide (Jim Eliff's ministry).  I am not trying to copy their fine work but I am simply trying to spread the word about our brother, St. Patrick and remind us to live coram Deo.

In a few days, I'll post a creative writing piece I did on this story and I'll be posting the "musings" of my writing students as well.  I hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you will be sharing your love for writing and what you are learning and I can read it here - Yea! Looking forward to more!
    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete