Friday, February 14, 2014

"Re-Words" in Scripture


As an English major, I love words.  Their etymology intrigues me.  For quite a while now, I’ve been thinking over all the “re-words” of Scripture.  Words like re-newal, re-store and re-surrection.  These powerful words convey bringing something back with completeness.  Many other English words come to mind-- not found in the Bible--but can be used to effectively describe the work of Christ. These are words such as re-generation, re-habilitate, I decided I should search the Internet to see if anyone else had this fascination with “re-words” in the Bible.  I was excited to see that Randy Alcorn (a favorite author of mine) also loves “re-words.”  (Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94wSc6lmyU)

Think about these verses:

Psalm 51:10 “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

Matthew 19:28  “Jesus said to them, ‘I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on His glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes. . . “

Isaiah 40:31 “. . . but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.”

Psalm 23:3 “He restores my soul.”

Nahum 2:2 “The Lord will restore the splendor of Jacob like the splendor of Israel, though destroyers have laid them waste and have ruined their vines.”

John 11:35 “. . . I AM the resurrection and the life.”

Randy Alcorn writes extensively about heaven and reminds us that one day everything that is not “right” with Creation will be renewed, restored, rebuilt, reclaimed, released from bondage and His own will stand before Him, the redeemed Bride before the resplendent Bridegroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment